Monday, September 27, 2010

How You Were Raised Doesn't Have To Be How You Behave!

Every day I have to stop and remind myself not to be the kind of parent I had.

My Dad and Grandmother raised me.  They both were emotionally neglectful.  They took care of my basic needs and I never went without.  They always gave me what I needed and sometimes what I wanted, but they failed to provide emotional nourishment.

My daughter (4 months old) has always had and will always have what she needs - and sometimes what she wants.  She receives millions of kisses every day.  I hug her as I hold her.  I tell her that she's beautiful, cute, and pretty every chance I get.  I don't always have to make a conscious effort to show her how much she means to me and how wonderful she is.  Though, I will always need to remind myself of my childhood to ensure that my daughter's emotional needs are met.

I believe that a child's emotional needs should be placed at the same level as their physical needs, if not higher on occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment